That also doesn’t mean you have to resign yourself to drooling over the amazing offers and copy you see others putting out, feeling yours will never match up.
This is my 4-step guide to writing your own promo copy that converts:
Step 1 is to write your first draft. Yep, as simple as that.
Now, walk away from your writing for at least 15-20 minutes to give your brain a break before you start step 2.
Step 2 is to read your copy aloud.
When we read words, we hear them as a voice in our head.
That’s your voice if we have heard you. Otherwise it’s how we think you’d sound.
Reading aloud helps you hear the flow of your sentences when your readers ‘hear’ you reading to them later.
You are also listening for words that you repeat too often, too closely together.
Say for example, I have written ‘create’ three times in one paragraph.
I would replace two of them -removing the repetition so it feels more comfortable to read/hear.
Step 3 is where we add the ‘va-va’vroom’ – powering up the words and phrases so now your offer copy “packs a punch” and becomes so juicy it “knocks their socks off”
And at step 4, it’s time to proofread for errors and dispose of any text that doesn’t need to be there.
Take care not to zap the energy out of the post by over editing and being too zealous with your chopping though.
If you think you are being brutal, stop, and post it as it is.
Good copy with high energy will out-perform great copy that FEELS flat and meh because it’s had the life sucked out of it.
The good news for us introverts is that 3 out of 4 of these steps are RESPONDING- your natural flow!
The better news is that even step 1 is very easily done from respond flow too.
(This post was me responding to a conversation I had with a good friend recently.)
- Somebody doesn’t know - May 6, 2021
- Four Steps To Writing Copy That Converts! - April 24, 2021
- Inspiration from Steve Coogan - April 20, 2021
- [Episode 31] I am stuck. I am overwhelmed - February 22, 2021
- [Episode 30] When Your Responses Are Unhealthy - February 15, 2021
- [Episode 29] Who Do You Think You Are Talking To? - February 8, 2021
- [Episode 28] Connection Request Assumptions that will Stall Your Business Growth - February 1, 2021
- Why Paying Income Tax is a Privilege - January 18, 2021
- Do You Track Your Abundance? - January 8, 2021
- You have many more pages and chapters still to write - January 7, 2021