When you sit in networking events or watch an introduction thread in an online community, you’ll notice everyone is using the same formulaic structure.
It’s the same old boring vanilla in a sea of bland.
I had my first call with my “Storytelling Mentor”, Michael Hauge, last week, and to prep for the call, I was reading his book.
His background is in Hollywood movies, and he’s consulted on scripts for several Will Smith movies – including Will’s remake of “The Karate Kid”.
Y’know, just casually dropping Will Smith’s name there and moving right on hehe 🙂
Anyway, back to the book, he recommends that instead of the bland, formulaic elevator pitch style, you flip it on its head
Your introduction should focus on the results of what you do, not the what.
“Hi, I’m Veronica Pullen, the Facebook Queen. I helped a client in the coaching sector to overcome her fear of the Facebook advertising platform, and understand how to use Facebook ads effectively to get attention, build connection, and increase conversions in her business.
In the first 10 days of running her Facebook ads campaign, she got 454 opt-ins to her email list for 21p each – a better result than any of the ‘experts’ she had hired previously achieved for her.”
Next time you’re asked to introduce yourself – online or in your 40/60 seconds pitch at networking events, try this.
Show em, don’t tell em.
PS I came across this Zoom interview between Michael Hauge and Will where Will shares the storytelling foundations behind his movie scripts. It’s a fascinating interview with valuable insights you can take away and apply to how you write for your business.
- Buy Facebook Ads? Not Yet! - April 19, 2019
- Authority Content: Consumer or Creator? - April 15, 2019
- You Are Not Good Enough! - April 12, 2019
- Facebook Group Admin? Read This… - April 5, 2019
- Are Paid Facebook Ads Essential to Generate Paying Clients? - March 23, 2019
- Behind the Scenes Stats from my Viral Lead Magnet - February 13, 2019
- If You’ve Been Hunting for Membership Software, Try This… - January 31, 2019
- Lurking in Facebook Groups is Costing You Money! - January 3, 2019
- Why You’re Not Attracting Premium Paying Clients from Facebook - December 10, 2018
- How Claire 11x’d Her Premium Package Offer - December 5, 2018