If you’re anything like me, there will often be times when you realise that you need to download one of your videos from Facebook or YouTube after it’s been posted online – either because you forgot to save the video before you posted it, or because you want the MP4 file to bring into your video editor to edit.
- Facebook livestreams delivered on your Facebook page that you want to upload to YouTube but the livestream didn’t save to your phone (either because the save failed or you forgot to save it).
- Facebook livestreams you have delivered on your personal profile or in a Facebook group, and you now want to upload it to your page.
- YouTube videos you want to upload to Vimeo Pro and add to your membership site. When I create new videos for my paid programs in Camtasia, I always upload the file to YouTube (unlisted) initially. Then we download the MP4 from YouTube and upload to Vimeo Pro, before embedding on our membership site.
We do this so we have a backup stored in YouTube, but primarily because the privacy settings in Vimeo Pro are more stringent that when using YouTube Unlisted.
So, how you can download the MP4 file of your videos that have already been posted to YouTube or Facebook?
Before we begin, these methods will also work for videos created by other people, not just your own. But I’m trusting that you will only follow these instructions for videos that you created or own the copyright for.
Just so we’re clear, I am NOT recommending you download other people’s content to pass off as your own.
How to download videos from YouTube:
Locate the video in YouTube and click on the video name to open the video page.
In the address bar, locate the video URL, and in between the www. and youtube.com, type the letters ‘ss’.
You will be taken to a new page – WAIT 5-10 SECONDS. DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING!
After 5-10 seconds, you will see an option to purchase a paid for ‘Ummy Downloader to download your video in HD, or click on the ‘download it free’ link to proceed to download the SD file for free.
Select the free option and a download button will appear, or purchase the full version to download in a higher-quality format
Click on the ‘download’ button.
Save the MP4.
How to download videos from your Facebook page, Facebook groups or your personal Facebook profile.
NOTE: You will need to be using the Chrome web browser.
Open a new Chrome tab or window.
Click on the 3 vertical dots on the top right of your browser window.
Select ‘More Tools’.
Scroll to the bottom of the page and select ‘Get more extensions’.
In the search bar at the top of the next page, search for the extension called ‘GetThemAll’. (All one word.)
Click on the GetThemAll Video Downloader extension to open the install page.
On the install page, click the green ‘Add to Chrome’ button.
EDITED 31/10/2017: Some people are reporting a “Malware” warning for the GetThemAll Chrome Extension. If you’re experiencing issues with GetThemAll then Social Video Downloader is an alternative.
Log into Facebook and locate the video you wish to download.
Underneath your name or page name (or the original poster’s name or page name if that isn’t you) you will see the time and date that the video was posted.
If you hover over the time and date, you will notice it is a clickable link.
Holding down the CTRL button on your keyboard, click on the time and date link to open the video post in a new browser tab.
Watch a video demo:
On the top right of your browser window, you will now see a blue/green downward facing arrow.
Click on the arrow to open the GetThemAll download screen.
You will see a list of the videos available to download. In the description, one will say [SD] and the other [HD].
Click in the checkbox to the left of the [HD] video.
Then click on the blue ‘Download’ button to open your File Manager.
Choose where to save the MP4 and the download will commence.
Now you have the MP4 file saved locally, and you can upload your video to wherever you wish to host it or use the MP4 file in your video editor if you need to make any edits.
- Communicate Pricing in Your Sales Copy. - November 17, 2020
- The Route to Your Business Success is Plain Sailing - November 11, 2020
- How to Increase the Perceived Value of Time [Sales Copywriting] - November 4, 2020
- [Facebook T&Cs update] Are you prepared for this? - September 15, 2020
- Why do you need so much money? - September 8, 2020
- Are You Assuming The Negative Outcome? - September 5, 2020
- “I DON’T DO MUCH ON FACEBOOK. IT’S TOO NOISY!” - September 3, 2020
- Managing Disappointments in Business - August 12, 2020
- [Episode 1] One Simple Way to Find Out if You’re an Introvert or Extrovert | The Introvert Online Podcast - August 11, 2020
- [Episode 0] Welcome to The Introvert Online Podcast! - August 10, 2020